Image Map

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Talk Derby to Me!

Now, looking down from the press box, I pointed to the
huge grassy meadow enclosed by the track. “That whole thing,” I said, “will be jammed with
people; fifty thousand or so, and most of them staggering drunk. It’s a fantastic scene–
thousands of people fainting, crying, copulating, trampling each other and fighting with
broken whiskey bottles. We’ll have to spend some time out there, but it’s hard to move
around, too many bodies.”
“Is it safe out there?” Will we ever come back?”

from "Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved
by Hunter S. Thompson

Oh, Gonzo, you are so true and so inaccurate at the same time.  The Kentucky Derby is indeed madness, but it is soooo much more.  I fall in love with Kentucky a little bit more each year once the Derby festivities kick off.

This year was my first time in over fifteen years that I celebrated as a Louisville native. All I can say is that it's good to be back.  The month long celebration of Derby brings the whole city alive and abuzz with a new energy that you can only experience, not describe.  Or maybe you can describe it, but I'm not that great of a writer.  Semantics.  

Moving on, here's a month's worth of snapshots documenting the crazy, wonderful celebration of the Sport of Kings!  Enjoy!


Kaia (Beth, did I spell this right?) on Derby Day.  The weather was perfect!!!


A little street ball between races.


Almost a home run.


On Sunday, I cooked a truly Southern breakfast for my Yankee cousin (hee hee!) and his girlfriend, complete with country ham biscuits and shrimp and grits.  It was delicious!!!


I  love Pomegranate's line of jockey and horse linens!  Too cute!


If you've never had country ham, you should try it at least once.  I'm not a fan, but I don't eat pork, so don't take my opinion to count as much.


Mmmm, cheese grits...


The kickoff event that starts the Derby Festival is Thunder over Louisville.  The day starts with a fantastic airshow featuring the Blue Angels and ends with the best fireworks display in North America!



We spent the day out on my roommate's boat on the Ohio River.  There is no better way to watch!  Although, it was a bit rough on the water and super muddy that day.  I'm so grateful that Robbie bought a boat.  And even more grateful that I'm not responsible for the upkeep!



Just a small sampling of the awesome show!


So, it has become apparent to me that not everyone in the country knows or has had the pleasure of having Benedictine.  To that I say, what a shame.  Benedictine is a cream cheese spread made with cucumbers and is pretty much heaven on white bread.  It originated in Louisville, and in my opinion, is a staple to any Southerner's diet.


My favorite picture from the whole month, my best friend, her husband, and the soon-to-be-arriving Button.  Can't wait for the baby shower next month!  I'm sure I'll put a post together about a month after the baby comes highlighting the shower.  I'm nothing if not timely.  Ha!


Oaks attire!  For those of you not in the know, Oaks is the Friday before Derby and is a fillies race.  It's a tad bit calmer, less crowded, and more manageable to attend than Derby itself.

I was lucky enough to be invited by some business colleagues along with some of my coworkers.  It's always a great day, and never a dull moment!


Melissa and I on the deck outside of the suites.


So little to my knowledge, I had my fascinator on backwards for most of the morning, and all of the pictures. Because I'm classy like that.  I eventually put it on correctly.

If you are ever lucky enough to attend an Oaks or Derby, I highly recommend it.  If not, Keeneland is only about 70 miles away, and is always a great alternative!  Love those ponies!

Until next time, go, baby, go!  


No comments:

Post a Comment