Image Map

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

A Graduation for the Ages

For those of y'all that haven't followed this blog or the one I had prior, you may not know that I have a brother with Downs Syndrome. This year, he turns 30, and last night he did something that we never dreamed possible. He graduated college. 

I don't think there are enough words in the English language to express my sentiments and how incredibly proud I am of him. He completed a three year program through Down Syndrome of Louisville in conjunction with our local state community college, JCTC, called College Connections.

Through this program, Will attended regular curriculum classes at JCTC for three years, earning grades based on the same required classwork as his "regular" classmates. The kid graduated with a 3.75 GPA, beating the family record of everyone except his mom and cousin. And frankly, I couldn't pick a better person to claim bragging rights to the highest GPA.

My bubbaloo was beaming from ear to ear, and so were the rest of us. It's hard to express the incredible feeling of success that we all feel right along with Will as he received his college diploma. It was just simply awesome. 


{Before the ceremony}


{Receiving his diploma}


{Right before his quick thank you speech}


{Officially official!!!}

I'm not sure if all Downs Syndrome organizations have programs like this one in every area, but check here for helpful links and resources in your community.


No comments:

Post a Comment