Image Map

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Very Patriotic Birthday

Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays for many reasons.  First, it's America's birthday, obviously!  Second, it's exactly four days away from my birthday!  And most importantly, it's in the SUMMER!!!


This year marked my first year celebrating America as a Louisvillian.  We headed to Waterfront Park for fireworks, friends, and a few beers on not only Wednesday, but Thursday night too!


{There's just something about fireworks that makes me feel all nostalgic and warm inside.}

That Friday the 5th, I threw my first official house party in the new locale!  I wanted to have a small get together for the 4th, my birthday, and as an excuse get my Lexington gang up to the new house!


{Drink station, featuring my newest creation, the Sangria Sparkler!}


Sangria Sparkler

2 bottles of Champagne or Prosecco
1 cup St. Germaine Liqueur 
1 package of each: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries

In a large pitcher or beverage dispenser, layer berries on the bottom.
Pour remaining ingredients over berries.
Serve with a striped straw!

It helps to make some champagne ice cubes to keep the sangria cool without watering it down.  However, I didn't have a chance to do that, so I had to resort to a Ziploc of ice stuck down in the center.  Not the most attractive, but it works in a pinch!





For dinner I served strawberry, avocado and feta salsa, Green Goddess dip with pita chips, Quinoa Tabbouleh, Greek Chicken Skewers and Avocado Tzatziki (not pictured), Grilled Vidalia Onion Steaks with Praline Glaze (also not pictured), and Sriracha Grilled Corn.  Courtney surprised me with pimento cheese from the Mousetrap in Lexington.  I cannot tell you how much I miss this dip!!!  It was all delicious and perfect for a Fourth of July party!

 

I found the inspiration for the grilled corn on Pinterest, but there wasn't a recipe attached to the pin.  I decided to wing it, and the results were delicious!!!  Here's what I did:

Grilled Sriracha Corn

4 tbs. melted butter
2/3 cup Sriracha Hot Sauce
8 ears of corn, shucked
Light brown sugar to taste
Sea salt, to taste

It's as simple as melting the butter and mixing it with the Sriracha sauce and then basting it on the corn with a pastry brush.  After each ear was thoroughly coated, I sprinkled them with brown sugar and a pinch of sea salt.  Place directly on the grill or on a grill pan (we used a grill pan) and let cook until corn is slightly caramelized.  Let cool and enjoy!  These were the absolute hit of the party, especially for my spice loving friends!  I even went for seconds, even though I'm usually a wimp when it comes to spicy!  These had just enough heat and spice but weren't overwhelming!


{My best gals, Kate, Courtney, me and Beth}


{Birthday present from Kate, lobster claw oven mitts!!!}


On Sunday, the family and I headed to Mitchell's Fish Market to celebrate both my birthday and my mom's. I was born the day after her's and I like to say that I was the best birthday present ever, but sometimes I think she got a raw deal!  Above is my nephew, Eli (19 mos.).  He is an absolute doll and I could just squeeze that little chunk all day!!!


{Niece Emily with her ice cream Sunday}

On Monday, my actual birthday, Beth, JD, Robbie and I hit up a restaurant I hadn't been to yet called Dragon King's Daughter on Bardstown.  It's a Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant and it did not disappoint!!!


{First ginger beer, pretty tasty!}



{Full after a dinner of tacos and sushi}

This year's birthday and 4th festivities were an absolute blast!  Thanks to mother nature for holding out long enough for us to catch some fireworks, grill some delicious eats, and spend some much needed time outdoors!  And a huge thank you to everyone that sent me birthday wishes and celebrated with me!  I couldn't ask for better people in my life!   Cheers and here's to another 32 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment