Image Map

Monday, July 22, 2013

Forecastle Festival

So, I'm finally getting around to posting about the Forecastle Festival that was held two weekends ago in Louisville.  This is the first time I've gone since the first year that it was held, mainly because I had a work convention that usually fell on the same weekend.  Since my meeting for that trip was on Thursday and I'm now living in Louisville, it was really easy for me to make it this year.  Living in this city has been awesome in regards to cool stuff to do!  Friday night started out with seeing Old Crow Medicine Show and Moon Taxi.  I missed the first few shows of the day due to a unexpected trip to the ER in Muhlenberg County.  I'm fine, and the story isn't really exciting enough to recount, so let's move on.  The last show of the night was an awesome set from String Cheese Incident.  I hadn't seen them since I went out to Colorado for Telluride Bluegrass Festival back in 2007.  They were absolutely awesome, and I danced like a fool most of the show!



{Day Two: from center going clockwise, Me, Lindsay, Heath, Chris, Jodye, and Jenna}


{Sunglasses askew}


{Photobomb from some dumb drunk chick}


{Chris and Heath}


{Stage performers for Moon Taxi with me and Lindsay}


{Busting a move sometime on day two}


{Natalie, Sean, and Sarah}


{Me, Natalie, and Sarah at Black Keys}


The second day we set out after lunch for a day of music, beer, and lots of people watching.  We started at Foxygen, but didn't get to stay for long.  The entire Waterfront Park was evacuated due to an impending thunderstorm that never really happened.  Once that was over and we got back in, we saw Dawes, Tokimonsta, Alabama Shakes, Jim James, Flaming Lips and the Black Keys.  The highlight of the night was the late show at the Palace where we saw String Cheese again.  They put on another awesome show, and despite Robert Plant NOT making a guest appearance (a story too ridiculous to tell), I had a blast!  It was a pretty late night, and Sunday morning came too early.



{This guy had way too much fun before the show, I guess.  He woke up three quarters of the way through the show and starting rocking it out, though.}


{No idea why we were being evacuated.  It barely rained.}





On Sunday, Heath, Lindsay and Chris headed back to Lexington, and I met up with these crazy fools!  I can honestly say, there has yet to be a time when my college roommates and I get together and don't have a good time!  I love these girls!





{Flaming Lips}


{Charles and a rather annoying inflatable sea turtle at the Forecastle Incident}


{Purity Ring}


{Water feature}

I pretty much hopped around from group to group of friends on Sunday to catch all the shows I wanted to see.  I started the day with Toro Y Moi (awesome!), some Killer Mike, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals and Forecastle Incident.  During Robert Plant, we were hit with a huge downpour and got stuck under the overpass for shelter.  They didn't evacuate, so we were able to catch Purity Ring and Datsik before ending the night with Avett Brothers.  The lineup this year was great, and I saw almost all the bands I wanted to.  Can't wait until next year!  I highly recommend going if you're in the area next July!
Until next time, whatever you do, take care of your shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment