Image Map

Monday, November 25, 2013

Winter Nesting

This weekend was absolutely wonderful for the simple reason that I had absolutely no plans.  I cannot tell you how long it's been since I could say that.  After two weekends out of town, a crazy work week,  and a lot of plans with friends, I was in dire need of some down time.  And my house was in major need of some TLC.  

Friday night I got home, poured a glass of wine, and parked my butt on the couch for the remainder of the evening.  I don't even remember what I watched, that's how uneventful my night was.  It couldn't have been more perfect!

Saturday, I spent the morning cleaning the house, doing some laundry and drinking waaayyyy too many cups of coffee.  My friends's Mary and David stopped by for a bit with their newest edition, Baby Catherine.  I spent the rest of the afternoon running errands and starting my Christmas shopping.  And drinking more coffee.  Oh, the amount of coffee I drank yesterday was asinine.  There was a reason I was up until almost 3:00 am…  Anyway, I stopped by my momma's house to hang out with her, my stepdad and my favorite guy in the world, my baby bro.  After a very ridiculously prepared meal, I headed home for a phone and wine date with Courts.

It's been really hard not having my closest friends around for random wine nights in (among other things), but Courts and I have found an ingenious way around it.  Every couple weeks or so, we'll hop on the phone, pour a glass of wine, and dish for hours!  It's almost as good as living down the street from each other.  

Sunday morning was a bit slow, due to the almost three hour wine convo, but I finally got myself to the grocery before the 1:30 kickoff of the Bears game.  I absolutely love cooking a hearty stew, chili, or soup on Sundays this time of year.  I eat on it all week and it makes my crazy schedule much more conducive to eat healthy all week long instead of grabbing something on the go.  I'll share what I made this week later this week.  But first things first, my Sunday breakfast!

I think it is a widely known fact that I have a taco obsession.  So much so that a friend or two have mentioned that I may turn into a taco one day.  I'd be okay with that, except that I might become a cannibal and eat myself.  Gross.  Anyway, I digress.  I hadn't had a taco since Friday night, so breakfast tacos were a must.  And lucky for you, I documented it in pictures and am giving you the basics for all you need to have delicious breakfast tacos this coming weekend!


Ingredients needed:

Eggs (two per person)
Splash of milk (I used almond milk since I'm not supposed to be eating raw dairy.)
Authentic Latin Corn Tortillas
Coconut Oil (or whatever oil you prefer to fry in, but I think coconut is a great option)
Tony Chacherre's Creole Seasoning (or whatever spices you like in your eggs)
Salsa/Pico de Gallo
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Cilantro
Avocado, sliced
Sriracha (optional)  

It's really quite simple, so I'm not going to bore you with how to scramble eggs and put them in a tortilla shell.  But I will tell you what the most important part of this delicious breakfast food is.  You absolutely must fry the tortillas.  And they must be the real, corn ones.  This detail is paramount.  Just trust me on this one.  You will not be disappointed.  Anyway, so it's not complicated, but you have to pay attention to the tortillas.

First, turn the heat on the stove to medium/medium high.  If you're using coconut oil, a small scoop with a teaspoon is plenty.  Here's the important part: once the oil is melted and hot, put one tortilla in the oil, flipping occasionally.  Put your second (and any others you plan to eat) on top of the first tortilla and soak up some of the oil from the first tortilla on both sides.  Remove the additional tortillas temporarily.  Throw out the first tortilla.  Continue to fry the remaining tortillas individually, flipping on both sides.  That first tortilla is crucial in keeping your additional tortillas from becoming too greasy.  Unless you're into that sort of thing…  In that case, eat that first bad boy with gusto!

Top tortillas with eggs, cheese, Sriracha, avocado, and most importantly, cilantro.  I like to put a dab of salsa on each individual bite so the tortilla doesn't get soggy.  But that's just me.  Do whatever you like. You can add sausage, bacon, potatoes, whatever you like to make your breakfast taco to your liking.  I'm just offering suggestions!  Don't get all bent outta shape because I don't like your soggy, sausage tacos, dammit!!!  LOLZ.  Anyway, here is my finished product.  They were the bees knees!


I spent the rest of my Sunday watching football, finishing laundry and generally lying around like a bum.  I did have a Pilates training session with my girl Ann, but then I ruined it by going out to dinner.  

All in all, it was a perfect, low key, relaxing weekend.  Exactly what I needed.  Plus, did y'all notice how freaking cold it was???  Funk that noise.  If you need me, I'll be curled up under a blanket until March.  

Have a great week, stay warm, and eat TACOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment