Image Map

Monday, July 14, 2014

The Overdue DC Trip Post

So over three weeks ago, I promised a post on the girl's weekend I spent in Washington, DC.  And here it is! No procrastination at all. Ha.  

Anyway, our trip started with a nice country drive on the way to the The Greenbrier, courtesy of my car's GPS system.  We arrived only about half an hour later than expected, and still had plenty of time to spend touring this beautiful hotel and former Presidential retreat.

I highly recommend a visit, even if only for the day.  It really makes the drive through West Virginia a little more pleasant. Also, traveler's note: pepperoni rolls are the state snack.  Google it.  I promise.  Moving on...




The premise of the trip was to use a sailing trip on the Potomac River that I had won at the Concrete Ball (hint, hint: we auction off awesome prizes, you should come next year). I parlayed that into a much needed mini-vacation and dish session with my friend Courtney.  It was awesome!



Our three hour tour boat for the evening.


On Sunday evening, we did the most touristy thing I have ever done; we took a guided bus tour.  I'm not gonna lie, it was worth every penny of the $37 it cost.  We got to hit all of the spots on the bucket list that one would want to see in DC without all of the hassle.  

The previous statement is proof to the fact that I'm getting old. I'm okay with it, though.

Regardless of my age, we still had plenty of time for drinks and food over the course of the weekend.  I highly recommend Old Ebbitt Grill for dinner and drinks.  It's a DC must, I've been told.






Back tracking a bit to Saturday, we visited the International Spy Museum in the morning.  It was a great exhibit, however we rushed through the last part because we were starving and couldn't spend another two hours without food.

If you do go to visit the Spy Museum, I don't recommend paying for the Special Ops experience UNLESS you have kids.  It was a bit cheesy for adults, but would be absolutely perfect for inquisitive and adventurous kiddos.





Our new pal.




I had to.  It's kind of required, right?!? Side note, we were running late to get back on the bus, so it's not completely perfect.


There are about a thousand different things I still want to see and do in DC, but it was cool to get to knock some of them out with one of my very best friends.
Plus, it's nice to go on a trip with someone and know that you have a pretty identical agenda.  We spent the perfect amount of time sight seeing, shopping, eating and drinking, and (wait for it)…..getting our fortunes read!!!

So, we were just walking around Dupont Circle on Sunday afternoon and passed by a palm reader sign on the street.  Courts and I kind of looked at each other and said, "If you will, I will."
But first we searched for a reputable tarot card reader. Obviously.  It didn't happen to be the one we passed, but one a couple blocks down.

I will say this, it was highly enlightening, entertaining, and somewhat optimistic. But if I end up with three kids and no father in the picture (like the lady said I would), I'm going to jump off a cliff.  The two boys and a girl can follow suit. (I'm kidding, please don't send me hate mail.)

Anyway, it was a hoot.  It'l be a trip Courts and I can always look back and have a few laughs about.  Anyone else have opinions on great things to do in DC?

No comments:

Post a Comment