Image Map

Monday, November 3, 2014

Winter Book Challenge Update

The book challenge I'm participating in this winter officially started on November 1st at 12 am.  Since I was fast asleep in a hotel in Chicago at that time, I didn't start my reading list until last night.

I started with The Dinner by Herman Koch.  Well, let me just tell you, that book was bizarre.

I still haven't figured out how I feel about it.  I kind of hate the main character, the ending and pretty much everything about it.  But at the same time, it was an entertaining read.  I sat down and read it in just a few hours.  I won't reveal any spoilers, but there are lots of unexplained and undefined parts of the book that left me demanding answers. 

I still kind of like it, though.  And that's irritating me.


It is definitely not one of those books that wraps up a happy ending and hands it to you.  And I think that's why I like it.  It defies conventionality.  And I very much appreciate that style.  Even if that sort of ending is becoming conventional these days...

You can read the New York Times review here, if you're interested. Beware, lots of spoilers.  

Also, I didn't realize that this book was a translation, so I may be using this book for that category.  Turns out the Metamorphosis is only about 100+ pages, so I won't be able to use it.  

It does make more sense now that I know it was written by a Dutch author.  There are quite a few similarities in his writing style to Steig Larson's (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series). There are also some cultural implications and norms that I don't think I would have understood if I hadn't devoured Larson's series either.  I think I finished those three books in no more than 4 days.  Anyway, I digress.

For the challenge rules, check out the blog hostess' post here.

Anyone have any great ideas on other books with lunch or dinner in the title that I could read?

Stay tuned this week for my post on our Chicago trip! Happy Monday y'all! 



No comments:

Post a Comment