Image Map

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Update on Book Challenge

I was at the beach last week for a "work" (and I use the work term loosely) convention.  Every fall our KRMCA Board of Directors travels to Naples in Florida for four or five days.  
Mostly we're just hanging out and building relationships within the industry.  And drinking on the beach.
Since I'm such a lightweight, I always take a few books to read on the beach instead of drinking.  Since I'm doing the winter book challenge, I had the perfect opportunity to get a head start.

Here's what I read from the challenge list:


I really enjoyed this one, so much so that I went out and bought the following two in the series.  I finished the whole trilogy in tow days. I read quickly, needless to say.  This one counts as the first book of a series I haven't previously started.

I will say that the ending of the entire series wasn't what I expected or wanted, but some times that's for the best.  I'll probably rent the movies once they come out, too.  Has anyone read the books and seen the movie?  How does it compare?

Next I read my freebie choice, Garden Spells.


This one was an easy read as well, and I finished it within a few hours.  I'll probably pick up a few more of her books.  I kind of have a thing for books with some sort of fantasy aspect to them. Plus, it has a happy ending.  I'm one of those people that needs a happy ending.  It's the hopeless romantic in me.

The last book for the challenge that I read was For Whom the Bell Tolls.  I didn't actually finish this because it was too hard to get interested in, and decided I'm going to switch the book for this category (book title is also a song title).  I'm going to read High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (song buy Elvis Costello).


This book is one of my favorite movies of all time, and reading the book has been super entertaining.  I'm still in the process.

Since I decided to put down For Whom the Bell Tolls and didn't have any other books with me at the airport, I picked up another at the airport newsstand.  Since The Book Thief fits for the category of "bookish" book, I started it and got about a third of the way through by the time we landed.  It's highly interesting and well written.  I can tell it's going to have a really sad ending (duh, it's set in WWII Germany), but I'm hoping that it's not too bad.

So, I really need to adjust my list with the updated titles.  But I think I've completed four of the thirteen books. Not bad for eleven days in, in my opinion.

Happy Tuesday, y'all!  I'm heading to Nashville for my last bit of travel in awhile, so I'll post again later this week! See ya then!


2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's some fast reading! I know so many people speak highly of The Book Thief, and I'm one of those people. I'm not a big re-reader, but I will keep that book in my library and re-visit it sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not either, but it's good to know that it's worth a re-read! Can't wait to finish it!

      Delete