Image Map

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Kauai: Day 1 & 2

We arrived in Kauai after about 24 hours of travel, but that didn't dampen our moods at all! We made the executive decision to leave for our connecting flight in Dallas a day early to avoid the impending ice and snow in Louisville.

It was a good move, too, because our fellow colleagues that didn't do so were delayed in Louisville and didn't make it to Hawaii until 5 am on Sunday morning instead of around 4 pm on Saturday.  We wouldn't be so lucky on the way home, but I'll get to that in a different post.

When we arrived at the airport in Kauai, we were immediately in awe of the beautiful, lush landscapes.  I've been to Maui before, but Kauai blew Maui out of the water in terms of beauty.






 After arriving to the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa, we immediately headed to our room, ordered room service and fell asleep. Traveling to the lap of luxury is rough, y'all.

Sunday morning, we woke up at the crack of 3;30 am, but forced ourselves to sleep til 5:30 am when the breakfast restaurant opened and to catch the sunrise. I don't think I've ever been awake early enough on vacation to get sunrise beach shots, so this was super fun for me. We walked the beach for a bit and explored a bit of the massive 54 acre property. 

After what was one of the best breakfast buffets (and most expensive) I've ever had, we decided to walk around the grounds a bit more and take it all in.  We also were trying to figure out how the hell to get around this enormous resort without getting super lost.

Upon seeing some of the hotel prices for things like beer and Coke, we decided to catch a taxi into town for some light grocery shopping. Plus they didn't carry Diet Coke at the hotel, so I was desperately in need of a fix.


We walked around the town of Koala for a bit and checked out some of the souvenir shops. There were some cool spots in town, like the tree below that dated back to the late 1800's.

We spent the rest of the day relaxing at the pools and getting ready for our first convention event, a cocktail party and luau!


Y'all, let me tell you about the pineapple over in Hawaii. It blows the pineapple over here out of the water. I assume because it's so fresh.  It's almost like candy. And my mouth is still raw from eating so much of it. Totally worth it.

We ended the evening with full bellies, a few Kona Longboards, and an early bedtime. 

I'll get to the rest of the week in a few days when I can through some more of the photos from the trip. I took over 4,000. Because I am insane. And it was beautiful.

Until next time, maholo for stopping by and aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment