Image Map

Friday, May 6, 2016

Pre Derby Festivities

Here in Kentucky, the Derby is a national holiday. Especially in Louisville! When I was in high school, we always had the Friday before Derby off to go the Oaks (the fillies race the Friday before Derby.) Although I don't get Oaks day off as an adult working in Frankfort, I do usually get invited to the track the week of Derby by a vendor.
This year was no different than the past few years in that it rained most of the week leading up to the big race. We still had a lot of fun picking some ponies, making bets, and even cashing a few tickets.
If you ever get a chance to come to Louisville for Derby, TAKE IT! It is a truly unique experience, and the whole state is alive with anticipation and excitement!
Drew and I had a great time yesterday, despite the cold, rainy weather and I promise you will too!



This year, I think I'll be betting on the 6 horse, My Man Sam, in honor of my future brother in law, Sam, who has started his own horse training company! He's doing awesome, so I'm guessing a horse that has his name in it (even though it has nothing to do with him, ha ha) might be a good pick!

If you aren't a huge horse racing fan, I dare you to watch the "Horse of a Lifetime" video about Triple Crown Winner, American Pharaoh, and not get a bit teary eyed. (FYI, you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to latest videos.) Or is that just me that does that? Hopefully it can show some of the Kentucky spirit we have for the horse industry (and also isn't illegal to share???)

Who's your favorite this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment