Image Map

Thursday, September 26, 2013

I should rename this blog "The Weird Things I Cook"

Last night, in my continued quest to eat healthy and use all the food already in the house, I came up with what might be the ugliest dinner I've ever made.


I'm sure you're wondering what the hell that is.  Well, it's an artichoke, onion, and cheese scramble served with a side of sweet and spicy pickles.  It sounds absolutely awful, but it was actually quite delicious.  So here's what is actually in that grayish tinted scramble that turned out so yummy:

Four eggs
One slice of Swiss cheese
Half of a can of quartered artichoke hearts, chopped
One quarter of a Vidalia onion, chopped
A sprinkle or two of Parmesean cheese
A healthy sprinkle of onion powder

I mixed all of the ingredients except the Swiss cheese and cooked it all together.  Once cooked, I cut up the Swiss and mixed it in to melt.  A minute or two later, and voila, the ugliest dinner ever!

So when I was throwing together all of the ingredients, I was thinking spinach and artichoke dip (minus the spinach, since I didn't have any).  I don't think it tasted like that at all, but fortunately it worked out.  That usually doesn't happen (see Tuesday's salmon croquette experiment).  I'm just glad it worked at all.  At one point, I was looking at the uncooked concoction and getting a little nervous/grossed out.  

I also realized I'm turning into my mother.  My childhood is peppered with memories of awful, made up dinners based on what was in the house.  I swear, the older I get, the more I sympathize with her efforts to not go to the grocery.  

What have you made on a whim that worked out better than you thought?


No comments:

Post a Comment