Image Map

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A Day Late and a Dollar Short

I rather enjoyed sharing what I was listening to last week, so I'm doing it again this week.  I should have posted this yesterday, since I wrote it on New Release Tuesday, but I posted the weekend update instead. And there wasn't anything released that I care about.  (But I am pleased that I was not the only one excited to read this article yesterday.)  Plus, most of these songs have long since been released.  So it's a moot point.  Anyway, for your musical enjoyment...


1.  The Decemberists- The Hazard of Love Part 4.  I cannot begin to explain how much I love this band.  I bought my first Decemberists album because of a review I read on Amazon way back in 2005 before I realized that downloading music from iTunes wouldn't give my computer a virus.  Seriously, I was a late adapter to the whole downloading mp3s thing.  I swore for years that iPod's were going to ruin music.  And then I figured out how they worked and wasn't so scared.  Or I was right?  Who knows.  I'm not getting into a philosophical discussion about mediums for music these days.  Anyway, I digress.

Picaresque was the first album I listened to by the Decemberists, and I wasn't completely sold on them until I bought this one over four years later.  I think it just took my musical taste to evolve to meet where they were.  I dunno, maybe it was because I was too busy listening to Ryan Adams and Ryan Adams projects ONLY.  I went through a major alt-country phase post-college. Or as Courtney calls it, depressing kill yourself music.
Moving on...


2. Haim- The Wire.  This album was released a couple of weeks ago, actually.  But this single has been on seriously heavy rotation on XMU since it was released earlier this year.  And I listened to it on repeat for about three weeks straight.  And then I found something else to play on repeat.  And now it's back on repeat since the full album came out.  Super fun to listen to.  And super exciting that I enjoy listening to a female lead vocalist.  Usually, I hate female lead singers.  I have no idea why.  Sorry, any female lead singers out there.


3.  Frightened Rabbit- The Woodpile.  I love this band, primarily because I'm a sucker for a Scottish accent.  This guy's is amazing.  Plus, they opened for The National when I saw them, so it's fresh in my mind these days.  And plus squared, I've always been a sucker for songs like Poke, with their dreamy, romantic but dark and twisted vibe.  And have I mentioned the Scottish accent?  Yeah, it's important. 


4.  Silver Jews- Random Rules.  Okay, so I would have never been cool enough to know who this band was back in '98.  I was too busy listening to Phish and Pink Floyd back then. (Sidebar, I am not mocking this.  I still love those bands.  As does everyone and their mother.  Because it's good music.  I just listened to only things that fit into that category of music back then, and totally missed other genres because of it.)  Anyway, I stumbled upon this group via a blog I read that has absolutely nothing to do with music.  Turns out the lyrics are amazing.  I cannot get enough of their brutal honestly.  


5.  Ryan Adams & The Cardinals- Let it Ride.  Yeah, well I never really quit listening to Ryan Adams after my post college alt-country phase.  I just started listening to other music in addition to him.  I'm not even kidding, there was a period that this was pretty much always on when I was at work, home, in the car, etc.  I'll always love anything he puts out, even the not so well received stuff.   So back to this song, I put on an old playlist I made somewhere around 2006 or 2007.  This song was on it, and served as a reminder of how much I love this album.  It also reminds me a bit of fall.


6.  Wilco- Jesus, Etc. Speaking of my post college alt-country phase...here comes a little Jeff Tweedy for you.  I will never get enough of him.  Or Wilco.  Or this song.  Or this CD.  Or any of the ones that came before or after.  (Beth M., if you're reading this, you'll never guess who introduced me to Wilco.  Remind me to tell you, but I'll give you a hint: he drove our bus on STTS.  Not sure if it was '98 or '99.)  This song has actually never been off my rotation for long.  L.O.V.E. I.T.   Alright, I'm done gushing.

So there you go, another short list of the soundtrack to my week.  Hope you enjoyed.  Courts, I know you didn't, because there is no Stevie Wonder or Elvis on here.

Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment