Image Map

Friday, October 4, 2013

Five on Friday...Music Edition!

Once again, I'm linking up with the girls below to share my five favorite things this week!  I decided to focus on what has been on replay this week on my iPhone.  There are some oldies but goodies, and some newer stuff that I can't seem to get enough of!  Happy Friday, y'all!


1.  Radiohead- OK Computer.  More specifically, this song.


This entire album reminds me of my junior and senior years of college, driving to Bloomington, IN almost every weekend to see my boyfriend and best friend Beth (who introduced us).  I can specifically remember a certain spot near Little Nashville were I realized how brilliant this song was (somewhere around the 3:35 mark in this video).  It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, but I will always be a sucker for a transition from a chaotic, frenzied arrangement to a smoother, more mellow one and back again.  Gets me every time.

2.  alt-J- Breezeblocks.  This entire album has been heavy on my rotation for over a year or so.  The past month this track in particular has been the chosen one.  It varies which song I'm going to play on repeat from this CD, but there's always at least one.


3.  Anything by The National..  I mean anything.  Especially these two songs.


(Sorry, no super cool video.  But listen to the words.  Brilliant storytelling.)


A few weeks ago, I was able to see The National live with a bunch of friends.  It had been a long time since I'd been to any type of concert that required advance tickets, and I realized how much I missed it.  I spent the majority of my high school, college, and post college years travelling around the Southeast seeing my favorite bands live (mostly Phish, Widespread Panic, and the Avett Brothers).  It's a huge part of who I am today and I wish life didn't get in the way of my vagabonding, concert following spirit.  But on the other hand, I really like not living in a rental apartment and sleeping in my car.


4.  Bon Iver- Blood Bank.  I jumped on the Bon Iver bandwagon a little too late to ever catch them live, but this video is almost like being there, right?  Anyway, I celebrate their entire catalog.  For my money, it doesn't get any better when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman"  Blood Bank.  Ha ha, I'm funny.  Anyway, if you like this band (which I believe is on hiatus) check out the lead singer's other project Volcano Choir.  Also very easy on the ears.

5.  Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues.  Obviously, I've had a hankering for songs on the softer, more melodic side.  If this isn't the perfect representation of that (which I often refer to as "pretty music"), I don't know what is.


So there you have it.  A few of the songs being played in my car, on my stereo, on the computer at work, and in my headphones while I fall asleep.  What's on your playlist this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment