Image Map

Monday, October 27, 2014

Winter Book Challenge

I came across this book challenge on one of the blogs I read, and thought, I should do that!  I love to read, but sometimes need some motivation to turn off the TV or put down the Clorox. (Yes, I love to clean.  Yes, I'm weird. No, I do not want to come to your house and clean).

Anyway, the rules are pretty simple (copied directly from Semi-Charmed Kind of Life):

General rules:
  • The challenge will run from November 1, 2014, to February 28, 2015. No books that are started before 12 a.m. on November 1 or finished after 11:59 p.m. on February 28 will count.
  • Each book must be at least 200 pages long. Audio books are fine, as long as the print versions meet the page requirements. Large-print books are also acceptable, as long as the regular-print version exceeds 200 pages in length.
  • A book can only be used for one category, and each category can only be completed once. If you want to switch the category of a book during a later check-in, that's fine, just be sure to account for that in your point total.
  • Rereads can be used for a maximum of three books in the challenge. This rule is meant to encourage you to try new books while still allowing you to revisit books from your childhood or young adulthood that you might get more out of now. Please reread the entire book within the time frame of the challenge in order to count it; no simply finishing old books or partial rereads (unless the category explicitly states otherwise, of course)!
  • The highest possible total is 200 points, and the first five people who finish the challenge will be invited to contribute a category for the next challenge. Good luck!

The challenge categories and the books I've chosen:
5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules.  Garden Spells by Sarah Allen, recommended to me by my BFF.
10 points: Read a book written by an author who has published at least 10 books. About a Boy by Nick Hornby. I've been meaning to read this for years.
10 points: Read a book of short stories. Amphigorey by Edward Gorey (I've read some of this, so it counts as one of my rereads).
10 points: Read a book with a food (not a drink!) in the title. A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown
15 points: Read the first book in a series that is new to you (so no rereads for this one!). Divergent by Veronica Roth
15 points:
 Read a book that was originally written in a language that is not your native language. Metamorphosis by Frank Kafka, originally in German, I believe.
15 points: Read a book written by a local author (either an author from your state if you live in the United States, or in your country if you live somewhere else—note: author must be from where you currently live). Cornbread Mafia by James Higdon, this one's been on my list for a couple years.
20 points: Read a "bookish book" (in which books play an important role, e.g. the setting involves a bookstore or library, a major character is an author, or a book that celebrates reading and books. Examples: The Book ThiefThe Shadow of the WindThe Thirteenth Tale, etc.) The Loop by Joe Coomer
20 points: Read a book with a direction in the title (e.g. north, south, east, west or any combination of those). East of Eden by John Steinbeck, this may be a bit adventurous of me, it's really freaking long (601 pages).  But hey, I've read the Game of Throne series and those babies drag on for close to 1000 pages.
25 points: Read a book from a genre you don't usually read. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, mainly because my nerdy friend's loved it.
25 points: Read a book with a song lyric in the title. Be sure to tell us the song name and artist as well! For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
30 points: Read two books with a different meal in each title (e.g. breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, brunch; update: meals like feast, banquet, picnic will also count, but try not to get too "creative" with your meal words!).  Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut and The Dinner by Herman Koch

So, over the course of four months, I will hopefully be reading 4,601 pages of books to meet the challenge.  We'll see what happens.  Luckily, I don't go out much in the winter and I'm finally caught up on the Walking Dead.

Wish me luck!

***EDIT***

I've removed the Metamorphosis since it turns out it's just a short story, and replaced in with The Dinner by Herman Koch (originally written in Dutch)

Also, I decided against reading Ender's Game since I do read some sci-fi once in awhile.  However, I never read what is either considered "chick lit" or "beach reads."  So I'll be reading Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. Honestly, I'm not really that excited about this one, but I'm sure it will go quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment