Image Map

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Summer Reading Challenge

I didn't exactly finish the winter reading challenge this past season, so here I am again, attempting to do something that I probably won't get around to. I feel like a broken record these days! Ha!
I still haven't painted anymore in my craft room since the last post. Are any of you surprised???

Anyway, I like these categories a lot better this go round, so we'll see what happens!

And here are they are!

5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules.
I'm going to wait to decide on this one in case I get really hooked into the first book of a series. I tend to do that and then just absolutely demolish the entire series in a few days. Or maybe I'll wait to start the book I just got from the library, Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, 304 pages.

10 points: Read a book you have never heard of before. (Just go to a shelf and pick a book based on the cover, the title, whatever you want!)
Hmm, guess I'm heading to the library for this one! Yay, library!!!!

10 points: Read a book that has been on your TBR list for at least two years. (If you've had a Goodreads account for 2+ years, this will be easy to figure out. If you don’t, do your best to pick a book you’re pretty sure you’ve been wanting to read for years.)
For right now, I'm going to chose The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne, 215 pages.  I have a feeling I'll end up changing this one.

10 points: Read a book that won a Goodreads “Best Book” award in 2014.
Landline by Rainbow Rowell, 320 pages

15 points: Read a book by an author who is completely new to you.
I'm thinking I might read Room by Emma Donoghue, 352 pages. I also may read I Love Everybody by Laurie Nataro, 240 pages.

15 points: 
Read a book by an author you have read before. (No re-reads for this one.)
Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman, 275 pages

15 points: Read a book with "light" or "dark" in the title. (Or "lightness" or "darkness.")
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, 531 pages. Well this is just downright convenient since I've already placed it on hold at the library.

20 points: Read a book with the name of a city, state or country in the title.
I'm not sure about what to read for this category. I've gotten a couple of recommendations, but none of them are really grabbing me. For now I'm thinking about Paris Red by Maureen Gibbon, 288 pages or A Girl from Yamhill by Beverly Cleary, 352 pages. Anyone else have any ideas on this one?

20 points: Read a book with an animal on the cover.
Obviously, I'm going to go with something featuring a dog. The question remains to be answered as to which one... Here are the contenders:
Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote, 416 pages
A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron, 333 pages
A Big Little Life: A Memior of a Joyful Dog Named Trixie by Dean Koontz, 288 pages 
I'm leaning towards the second one.

25 points: Read a book that is part of a series with at least four books.
I think I'll start the Lunar Chronicle's, which first book is Cinder by Marissa Meyer, 448 pages

25 points: Read a book that is longer than 500 pages long. — Submitted by winter finisher Kristen from See You in a Porridge.
Good lord, can one book qualify for two categories because I have a few that might work... No? Alright then. I'm going to read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, 784 pages. I got this one for my birthday last year from my momma and still haven't started it.

30 points: Read a book with an alliterative title. (All words in the title must begin with the same letter; no exceptions for articles or prepositions. Examples: Gone Girl or Nicholas Nickleby. Yes, this is tough, which is why it's worth the most points!)
There are also a few contenders for this category as well, mostly hailing from the classics genre.
Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen, 400 pages
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, 272 pages 
(These would also count as rereads since I've read them both, I think...)
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, 368 pages
So wish me luck! We'll see how far I get!

Happy Wednesday, y'all!

UPDATE!!! Apparently I need to read a little slower re: the last category, ha! I will be using Angela's Ashes since prepositions do count in the alliteration. Oh yeah, and I won't be reading Everything I never Told You, since I started it last night and am almost finished. Good Lord, do not read that bool without Kleenex.

5 comments:

  1. I love challenges & books & lists & bloggers who love books...so I love this challenge. I'm going to read Angela's Ashes for the alliteration also. It's been sitting on my shelf for over a year, and this is a good reason to finally read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these challenges because it gives me an excuse to tear through books without feeling like a giant dork, haha!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this is a great list! I've wanted to read The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas for a while, too, but I'm using one my boyfriend already owns for that category.

    I'm not sure whether the first two books you mentioned for the alliteration category will count - it does say ALL words, including prepositions, etc. so I'm assuming the "And" makes it not count? Which is annoying because I have a few books that are something *and* something where the two something's start with the same letter, but it's not A!

    ~Bevchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should read a little closer! Thanks for bringing that to my attention! Angela's Ashes it is!

      Delete
  3. The Goldfinch is one of my favorite books ever- so good!

    ReplyDelete