Image Map

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Master Closet Makeover

I have been working on my upstairs guest room turned master closet makeover since last summer when my roommate moved out.  Well, I'm happy to report that as of this week last month, I am finally finished!!!

Here's what my inspiration was:


Obviously, this look would be a little too pricey for me, but I knew I could do something similar in terms of use of space on the cheap.

First. I ordered a ridiculous amount of shoe shelves to hold my ever growing shoe collection.  I have a serious shopping problem, needless to say. But I'm working on it. Promise.


I ordered 8 of these bad boys, assembled them myself, and stacked them around each other to make a sort of island.


In my mind's eye, I also would replace the ceiling fan with a pretty, small, glass chandelier  Unfortunately, this room is about 154 thousand degrees in the summer and there is no way I'm losing that overhead fan. 

Instead of installing custom cabinets that would be very permanent, I wanted to have something that could be easily removed and patched if the next owner of this house wanted to keep this room as the originally intended bedroom that it is.

I ordered a few sets of brackets and rods from Amazon and installed them myself with the help of my step dad's drill.  Well, that led to him having to come back over and rehang them, since one of the brackets fell out of the wall about a week later.  Hey, three out of four isn't bad, right???

So now all my hanging clothes (dresses, skirts, cardigans, blouses, and sweaters) are in one place instead of four different closets through out the house.  Get rid of some stuff, Eileen...



I still keep all my jeans, tees and pj's in my bedroom.  Anything in drawers or worn daily is in my actual bedroom, since I use them daily.

The next thing I decided on was a dressing table and jewelry storage. I found this mirror on Amazon and table and stool at Homegoods.  I am still considering painting the dressing table a fun color, like the green in the drapes seen below.


The mirror holds almost every piece of jewelry I have with the exception of a huge scarf/necklace combo. It is so great to have it all in one place, finally!



The finishing touch for the room was getting the window treatments ordered and hung as well as the cushion for the window seat!  I absolutely love the way they turned out!  It doesn't hurt that I got that fabric on clearance for less than $5 a yard either!

This picture is terribly lit, like all of my pics, and doesn't really show off the pretty colors. I'm still not sure how I feel about all that yellow against periwinkle walls, but I'll be damned if I'm going to paint again. Ugh. I hate painting.


Here are just a couple more views of the room. I'm so in love with having all my hanging clothes in one space. It has made getting dressed so much easier. Plus, I can finally see everything I have and have started to wear pieces I had forgotten about!





{Nice price tag on the candle... Just call me Minnie Pearl.}


The actual closet in the room houses all my purses, boots, scarves, belts and boot socks. And of course it's organized by color. 

Overall, I'm super pleased with this room and really enjoy the time I spend getting ready in here. It's like playing dress up every morning!

Here's my first post so you can see the difference! 

Until next time y'all!



1 comment: